Patricia A. Griffin - Pocono Record Article

Link to newspaper article
http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=%2F20120125%2FNEWS%2F201250312
My Mother called me the other day to let me know there was a meeting for public comment in regards to PPl, an electric company, expanding in Delaware River National Recreation Area.  They want to install 190' poles with eight lines and widen (clear cut) the right of way 200'.  Well it just so happens that that day I was working on a painting of Grand Teton National Park.  I thought that people would fight to the end if the electric company wanted lines to go over the Tetons.    The Delaware Rec Area is an Eastern Oasis is a sea of 1/4 acre lots.
I have protested many things in the past.  I have been aggressive, nasty, and cut throat. I am no longer that person.  I needed to find a new approach.  How could I let my feelings be known without negative talk.  I remembered this piece Flux was in a box in my studio. I thought about how serene it was and how offensive the lines would look in it.  So I shrunk wrapped the painting.  Took it to the meeting and set it on the easel in the front of the room. When my turn came up I whipped out the sharpie and while talking about my 20+ years of painting,canoeing, biking etc along the pristine wild and scenic river I installed the electric lines. I stopped and said"You wouldn't put them through the Badlands,the Grand Canyon, or the Tetons Why should they be here?  The Park otes on the issue this summer.  We will see.

Comments