JR 72''x48'' by Patricia A Griffin

In 1991 I returned to the Pocono Mts. in Pa.  I had graduated college in 89' and moved to Merced, California for bigger sky's.  I loved California and traversed the state but realized I was an easterner.
Upon my return I spent my days with my neighbors the Rourkes.  They were a welcoming young family with interest in the outdoors, gardening, and art. Lucky me.
 Jenny a hard working quilter and Jim a sculptor, poet, chainsaw carver.  We would fish, ride to the river and laugh till we cried.  I got to play with their two wonderful children, talk quilting, color, and pattern with Jenny.  They were my besties. 
It was not difficult to convince Jim to set down the fishing pole and pick up a brush.  Jim and I painted at the Delaware, on the Bushkill, from the top of Mt. Nebo.  On site, in the rain, sun, and snow. We took every opportunity to lay down paint in the local landscape.
This image was started on the day Jim's spirit rose from his body. 
Thank you Jim Rourke.  I could have never started my career as a painter and outdoor enthusiast with out you.

Comments

  1. This is a beautiful tribute to a well loved man, both gentle and strong. Reading your words add a bittersweetness to your painting. I'm sure his family is grateful.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment